Thursday, June 02, 2011

Sometimes Della Is A Little Bit Naughty or What's Going On With Della Part 3 of 4

Della HATES eating dinner...

It's not that she doesn't like the food that I make...

We don't think that she has sensory issues or an aversion to certain textures...

 It is simply because she has an opinion!


Long ago I wrote about "Old Della" and "New Della" explaining that her progression has turned her into a completely different person. For instance Old Della would lay on the carpet all day whereas New Della is now getting into everything. Well, this post is about how Old Della ate pretty much whatever I put in front of her; pizza, edamame, peaches, etc. New Della however, says she only wants to eat Cinnamon toast crunch for breakfast, PB&J for lunch, and 4 or 5 yogurts for dinner, with 1lb. of Goldfish crackers for a snack between meals. In short, New Della has an opinion. Now, in most respects, this is a really great thing and it shows a lot of cognitive development is occurring. But as any parent who has ever dealt with an opinionated and stubborn toddler, things can get very difficult.

At first I thought, "Della is just trying to assert her individuality and wants to have more control over her life." How cute, right? So I tried giving her options with her clothes, activities, TV shows. No go. The only time she throws a fit is at the dinner table. I realized that this wasn't an assertion of individuality, this was a POWER struggle. Let me tell you, this girl is good (and by good I mean naughty). Della starts fighting the second we walk towards the dinner table. She throws her food, then throws her plate, then throws her silverware, then a full glass bottle of hot sauce and if you don't watch out your dishes are next! We've tried everything; timeouts, making her clean up her mess, yelling, shoving food in her mouth, giving her options, not giving her options, sending her to bed, doing what the book says, doing what the other book says, doing the opposite of what both books say, threatening to never let her compete in the Special Olympics (OK, that might be a little bit more of my dream than hers). Nothing has worked.

I know we are a huge part of the equation and that she is playing us like a fiddle, but I am at a loss. To make matters worse she has gained one pound in the last year and at 4 years-old she now tips the scales at a whopping 28 lbs. So we are going to have an intervention evaluation by an Occupational Therapist who might be able to help us with feeding. I ain't gonna lie, I am praying for a miracle (and a lot of patience)! What a stinker! Good thing she is cute.

Here she is sneaking some cereal for dinner upon realizing that Chad was BBQing for dinner (as seen through the window)...

BUSTED!

4 comments:

Bartlett Pair said...

My hats off to you girl. You are truly amazing. I really do hope you find something that works soon for her :-)

Marissa said...

When you find that "miracle" let me know because Aubrey is the same way. :) Although yesterday, she surprised me by going back to the table after everyone was done and gone, and finished her dinner on her own. Good Luck!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I sympathize. At least her menu of choice is fairly balanced as far as carbs, protein, etc.

Kati said...

The one thing you didn't mention was what happened when you just didn't feed her for a while? Have you done that? Like you don't get to eat until you eat what we are eating type of thing? I am not suggesting just asking out of curiosity.