Monday, May 09, 2011

Goings On In Spring 2011 (It's is a horrible title but that is the best I could come up with.)

We have been busy the past few months and this is a summary of what's been going on:


 Here is Archer looking thrilled to be photographed eating ice cream amongst the flowers...

 We went to the Mental Health/Mental Retardation Authority (MHMRA) Autism and Intellectual Disability Awareness BBQ. MHMRA provides services to adults and children with intellectual disabilities in the Houston area. It was both comforting and scary to see so many families in situations similar to ours. There were a lot of older parents taking care of their "adult children" with serious physical and mental disabilities. I got choked up several times as I watched these aging parents dance with, spoon-feed, and lovingly taking care of their sons and daughters. I asked Chad if being at the event made him sad. He said "No, it doesn't make me sad, it makes me thankful because it could certainly be a lot worse." Why is he so much wiser than me?

I like how Della looks a little disgusted as she pets the baby duck...

Here is a picture of Archer hiding in the Lousiana iris. This also happens to be the exact moment that he sat on stinging nettle. Who knew that such a little plant could evoke so many tears?

Della is currently obsessed with airplanes. She likes to eat dinner while holding one. Well, maybe I should clarify. She doesn't actually eat dinner, she just likes to hold the airplane instead of eating dinner. Notice how there is no food in front of her. Don't let that sweet face fool you, she can be very naughty at times!

Archer's school doesn't dress up for Halloween so instead, the first grade classes dressed up as their favorite characters from a book. Here he is as "Serious Harry Potter"...

And here he is as "Happy Harry Potter." I love that his new teeth look giant in comparison to his baby teeth...

My good friend Julia was on tour with Thomas the Train and she was able to spend the night at our house on her day off! We had a lot of fun catching up. She got us tickets to the show and we had so much fun! Well, 3 out of the 4 of us had fun. Della was half terrified and half fascinated and she watched most of the show hiding behind my hair...



Della said she didn't want to look at the camera...

And this is just because I like it...

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Wow busy month. I would have felt the exact same way you did at the BBQ. And Scott would have said the exact same thing as Chad.
I'm jealous you got to hang with jules. It seems like an eternity since I saw her last. Het will you email me your address.