Saturday, December 11, 2010

November and Stuff

We went to Archer and Della's school for "Thanksgiving Lunch" in the cafeteria. Don't worry, neither of them ate any of their food...
We had visitors for almost the entire month of November and we loved it! My mom came out at the beginning of the month and we had so much fun. I don't really have any pictures but that is because we were so busy sewing! My mom watched our kids while we went to a Bed and Breakfast for one night. Alone. Isn't she awesome? I confess, I had a hard time leaving the kids, not because I was worried but because I have an unhealthy attachment to them. Anyway, we made it to Brenham which is around 50 miles northwest of Houston and almost halfway to Austin. We stayed here...
Our first stop was a Monastery where Nuns raise miniature horses. I am being serious. Chad and I called it Mini-Pony Farm. Here is a picture from their website...

Look! I found some mini-ponies!

Chad is a little nervous around horses due to a childhood incident...

Then we went to a giant indoor greenhouse. Can you spot Chad amongst the Poinsettias?

We also went to some antique stores which we have never done because we have small children. I picked up this bitty bird (3/4 of an inch high!) to add to Della's collection...I have become a but obsessed with birds since we found out that Della wouldn't grow up to be like other children. I formed this image in my mind that her little spirit was trapped in a broken mind and body, much like a bird trapped in a cage. And like a bird, one day she will be able to escape the physical confinements in her life and fly away. I know, cheesy, but it reminds me that there is always hope which Emily Dickinson puts into words much better than I can:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

OK-enough about that.


Our last stop was to the Antique Rose Emporium. I never really liked roses until my first visit to ARE where I had a conversion experience. We now have 11 roses growing in our yard. Our newest varieties are Red Cascade (all photos are from the Antique Rose Emporium website except for the Don Juan)... Don Juan...

Pioneer Spirit..
Moonlight...
And Star of the Republic (hmmm...that couldn't be a Texas native could it?)

Sadly our Constance Spry wasn't as spry as we had hoped. RIP...

Then my grandparents came for Thanksgiving. My grandma showed me how to make my first turkey. It was GOOD if I do say so myself...




We enjoyed Papa's famous tacos while they were here...

Even Della ate them. Behold the miracle...

Grandma also made cookies for the kids to decorate. Archer always takes his decorating duties seriously...
Della wasn't sure what to make of it at first...
She didn't like frosting on her hands...
But in the end she came around...

This picture sums up the experience, Archer busy decorating and Della eating a cookie out of each hand...
Papa and Grandma took Archer to get his first pair of cowboy boots. Mission accomplished...


He wears them CONSTANTLY...

It was hard to say goodbye to our family and we miss them so much. Thank you for visiting us!

We also had a freeze at the end of the month...
It finished off our "Juliet" and " Heinz 1439"(yes, as in the ketchup) tomatoes...

Chicken and Waffle didn't seem to mind the cold...

But that's probably because they were snug and warm in their newly finished chicken coop! Didn't Chad do a fantastic job?

1 comment:

Allison said...

I'm so happy you posted again. I love the update. We have chicken coop envy and weekend away envy. I have an unhealthy attachment to the kids too.