Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation: By Della Belle

Della had a pretty fun summer. She has done a lot of changing and growing in the past few weeks and it's been fun to see her get more and more curious and opinionated. Actually that last one can sometimes be not so fun, but that's life with a toddler right?

We went swimming a few times this summer and Della learned pretty quick that if she saw me with a swim diaper she was probably going to get wet. She would often get a swim diaper, carry it in her mouth while crawling over to me, shove the swim diaper into my hand, and then sign "more". Clearly she was asking me to take her swimming but since I couldn't always do that she settled on being able to wear her swim diaper over her clothes. Once the diaper was on she would go around the house like it was business as usual. But then she would stop and lift up her shirt to check and see if it was still there...

She found a new brush which she decided would be best used on her hair. Don't worry, it was brand new and I hadn't used it yet...

Della discovered the industrial grade headphones that Archer used to wear when he thought vacuuming the stairs was too loud. She also has discovered her brother's shoes which are much cooler than her own...


I had turned on a yoga workout one day and I looked up and saw Della copying me...

You may be wondering what this picture is doing in a post about Della's summer. I found this lamp at a thrift store and thought it would be cute in Della's room. Last month I noticed that Della was crawling upstairs every 5 minutes to go into her room where she would stand holding onto her dresser while desperately reaching and stretching with all her might to grab the lamp. I needed the endless chasing her up and down the stairs to stop so I brought the lamp downstairs. It now sits on our kitchen counter and she insists that it be on at all times. This is a woman who knows what she wants...


Speaking of knowing what she wants, Della has discovered the Disny/Pixar movie "Monsters Inc." Using the iPad she tells us that she wants to watch this movie. Every day. All day. Here is a screen shot of the iPad (which for some reason won't rotate so my apologies for the sideways view). At the top (or on the left side of the picture) is the history showing the buttons that Della has used. Notice it is the same button. Over. And over. And over. It's a good thing Billy Crystal's character is funny, otherwise I would be going a little crazy. *I realize that the display history says "Monsters Ink" but that's because the iPad's "voice" said something weird sounding when we typed in "Inc."

Della discovered her love for making chocolate cookies. Here she demonstrates her favorite cookie-making method...



Remember the disastrous blackberry picking excursion that I mentioned in Archer's post? Well, Della had a much better time than her brother. Here she is with a mouth full of berries...

She liked this trip way more than last year's...

We were only out in the patch for 20 minutes but Della had already turned beet red from the heat (not a sunburn). We rushed her back to the car and turned on the air conditioning and she felt much better after that...

Della's development hovers between 12 and 18 months. Even though she is 3.5 years-old, she still puts everything in her mouth. Like her favorite book "No David!"...

Or her favorite Wii game, Lego Star Wars, which she thrusts into Archer's hands and begs him to play it by signing "more", pounding her little fists together as hard and as fast as she can...

She also enjoys chewing on the cardboard box filled with Wii/TV/DVD controllers that I covered with paper and Modge Podge...

If no paper items are available, then she will settle for a battery...

Belle's hand (this picture is disturbing)...

Or couch cushion stuffing...
I know that batteries, paper, and couch cushion stuffing are dangerous and toxic and I don't allow her eat these things if I can help it. Anyone with a crawling baby knows that you can't catch everything that they put in their mouth and you never know what you are going to find stuffed into the pockets of their cheeks.

I saved the best for last. Della took her first unassisted step this summer! You have to trick her into standing on her own and on this particular day Chad stood in front of her and held his hands out to her. She took one step forward, regained her balance, and then decided she didn't want to walk anymore because she prefers to be carried everywhere. I didn't get her step on video but I did get some footage of her standing by herself. It's a little long and once you see her standing, you get the gist of it. However if you continue watching you can see how she refuses to cooperate with us when she doesn't want to. Also- for some reason You Tube has resized it's screens and it doesn't fit on the blog very well. For the full effect it is best to click on the video twice and to watch it in a new window on the actual You Tube site...

3 comments:

Diana said...

Congratulations, Della (and the rest of you, too). And yes, the Bella doll's hand is very disturbing.

Marissa said...

So cute! I totally understand your pain on the biting everything. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Monsters Inc is Joy's favorite film, too. :)