Friday, August 13, 2010

Sometimes Chad's Dreams Really Do Come True (Please Don't Tell Our HOA)

Chad has been wanting chickens now for almost two years. I knew he was serious when he designed these coops over a year ago...



Well, all of Chad's wildest (chicken) dreams came true last weekend when we bought two Barred Rock pullets (hens that are too young to lay eggs but are older than chicks) for $3 each. Meet Chicken and Waffle...


So far so good. Archer has accidentally almost killed them 6 or 7 times...


And Della spends most of her day trying to find things that will fit between the bars of their cage like plastic wrap, my grocery list, Happy Meal toys, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and black beans that she threw on the ground during dinner.

For now Chicken and Waffle are too small to fend off the neighbor's cat so unless we are outside with them, we have to keep them in a cage. They will start laying eggs in a few months and will each produce 200 each per year. That's a lot of eggs.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so so so so so jealous. I've been wanting chickens for so long. Let me know all about it so I can either talk Tyler into it or myself out of it.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Chickens are on my Someday List, too. :)

The photo of Della in your previous post is lovely.