Thursday, May 27, 2010

One Small Bite For Man, One Giant Leap For Della


Della has been going to school for 5 months now. She loves it. Especially when Mrs. Pouncy does her hair (see above picture). Sadly, she has no idea that it is about to end 6 days from now for summer. She is going to be very upset.

It's been a very busy 5 months for our daughter and she has made so much progress. As to why, my guess is that seeing other children talking, walking, eating, etc. has motivated her to do the same. You know what they say about peer pressure. Here is a short list of her accomplishments since starting school:
  • Using a spoon (sometimes, when she feels like it, which is not often, but I'm counting it anyway).
  • Imitating others- like rolling her hands when singing "Wheels On the Bus".
  • Signing the word "more" appropriately.
  • Using the POTTY! Yes, that's right. She is using the potty. When I saw that her teacher had written it as one of Della's goals, I laughed. Who's laughing now? I'll admit that it isn't perfect. She doesn't tell us when she needs to go. We aren't sure if she isn't able to learn/retain the sign or if she simply hasn't recognized the urge. But- every afternoon, I set her on the potty and she does her #2. I know this is gross, but look at it from our point of view. We were convinced that she would wear diapers forever.
  • Trying to "talk". She still doesn't have any consistent babbling but she will look you in the eyes and her tone takes on a conversation like sound.
  • She can point out our eyes, nose, mouth, ear, and hair correctly. Usually.
  • She is pointing with her finger. Sometimes.
  • Following one-step commands like "Put the ball into the bucket."
That's all I can think of for now. Meanwhile, enjoy this video of Della's newly acquired spoon skills. When I saw that this would be a rare moment of cooperation, I ran and got the camera. Here's what ensued...

7 comments:

Allison said...

Yay Della. Also, sometimes I like to put my foot on the table when I eat too. It's a comfy position. I think the rule is only "no elbows on the table".

ruth said...

I love hoe she leisurely pus her foot on the table. She is so dang cute.

Marissa said...

Congrats on all of the great accomplishments! Way to go Della!

Marti said...

This is wonderful!!! Good work all around.

Beth said...

That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing it!

Amy said...

I's super impressed!!!

heather said...

i just got choked up watching your daughter. thanks for sharing your experiences and her milestones. i know it sounds cheesy but it really inspires me.