Friday, April 16, 2010

Nana Bee's Visit





My mom, AKA Nana Bee (I don't know where Archer came up with that one), was able to visit us here in the Promised Land (that's Texas for the uninformed). We had a great time visiting with her for almost 2 weeks and it was hard to say goodbye. Having Nana here seemed like the perfect time to visit Brenham which is a city about an hour north of Houston. We had even more incentive to visit after checking Brenham's Wildflower Watch which informed us that the season was in "peak" mode. It was so beautiful! We planned on getting out of the car to take pictures of ourselves amongst the flowers like this...
...but Della said she just wanted to go home (that is code for she started losing it). It's OK though- we were still able to stop at the Blue Bell ice cream factory. Turns out it was closed for tours since it was Good Friday but the gift shop was open! We got ourselves some awesome paper hats...


Della's hat promptly blew off...



Whatever Archer does is hilarious to Della...




I like the lady smoking a cigarette in the background of this picture. I guess we won't be using this one for the Christmas card...


We stopped at The Antique Rose Emporium (where found 4 rose bushes to bring home)...



This is a picture of Della at the Rose Emporium which she thought was lame. Can you tell?




For those of you who don't know, my mom is an accomplished seamstress. So I thought it would be a great idea to take advantage of her skills and have her teach me how to sew. I picked out some cute fabric and what I thought was a simple dress pattern for Della (the pattern was by "Simplicity" so that means it's easy...right?). I didn't look at the pattern with a "sewer's eye" and failed to notice some important details listed on the back of the pattern like "gathered sleeve", or "zipper", or "a bunch of bias tape". The dress was complicated and even my mom thought that certain elements were hard. Who knew a toddler sized arm hole could be so tiny?!? Anyway- we finished it...



Ta Da!

Don't be surprised if you see Della wearing this when she is 10 years old. In the words of Charlotte the spider, it is my "magnum opus" and Della will be sporting this dress for a very long time. And since she can't talk she can't refuse to wear it!

Thanks for visiting Nana Bee!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love blue bell ice cream and I'm jealous you live by the factory. AND toddler arm holes are very difficult to sew. The dress turned out very cute, good job.

Jen said...

Oh my gosh, the dress is so cute!!! I love it! And the picture of Archer "milking the cow?" is priceless :)

Beth said...

I LOVE all the pictures with cow!!! The one of Della smiling so big and of course of Archer under the cow...too funny!

With all your talents...gardening, canning yummy jam, of course you need to learn to sew. Cute dress!

Allison said...

I love the pictures.. and the dress is adorable! I hope that soon we'll be seeing more stuff you've sewn.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Brenham in the spring = Heaven on Earth. But I will never call Texas the promised land, regardless. ;)

Della's dress is gorgeous. I want one just like it!