Monday, July 20, 2009

Texas 365


We moved to Texas a year ago on July the 5th. I could say all the cliché things that go along with marking the passage of a year. Things like "It went by so fast" or "It's been an amazing year." Instead I am going to do a post on all the things that seem unique to Texas. I will give you this warning: upon reading this list you may want to leave your home and life as you know it to move here to Texas; where ya'll's dreams come true...

Blue Bell Ice Cream...The best ice cream EVER!


Texas Roadhouse aka Willie Nelson's Restaurant...
OK, it's not really his restaurant, he's only affiliated with Texas Roadhouse. Who wouldn't want to dine with this guy? I also am willing to concede that Texas Roadhouse does exist outside of Texas. But I'm pretty sure those other locations aren't as good as the ones here.
P.S. Don't eat any of Willie's brownies! Trust me on this one!


Metal Texas stars...You may not believe me when I say that everyone has one of these giant metal stars on their house, but believe me everyone has these giant metal stars on their house. Archer saw one made of barbed wire and declared that it would be perfect for our house. It looked like this...

Texas handicapped parking...
An overall feeling of lawlessness...like this snake vs. hawk fight we witnessed on the way home from church. I can see now why Mexico has chosen to immortalize this event on their flag.Or this...I didn't take the above photo, this guy did. I occasionally see quads being driven on the road! In fact, Chad was PASSED by a guy on a quad sans shirt and helmet on a 2 lane road! I also see people riding in the bed of a truck. I've been told that this is in fact illegal in Texas, but "it isn't really enforced". ?

Ron Paul...

The Houston Rodeo...


Texas Patriotic Songs...
There are so many! And my son knows them all! My favorite is the one that goes along to the tune of BINGO but the word T-E-X-A-S is spelled instead. More often than not my son will shout "T-A-X-E-S!"

Christian vending machines...That's right kids, go beg your parents for a quarter and head to the nearest vending machine. You could be the proud owner of a divine prize:

A candy cross bracelet...
A cross lip gloss necklace...Religious temporary tattoos...
And for those emergency situations/raves, religious glow sticks...



Non-prayer prayers in schools...
This is what my son said at preschool before eating his daily snack:
Thank you for the food we eat, Thank you for the world so sweet, Thank you for the birds that sing, I give thanks for everything.


Crazy weather...



Beyoncé...


Flying the Texas flag at the same height as the US flag...


W.


Texas clothing...

That vest is leather by the way.


Amazing schools...
This is Archer's high school...

Here is where his school plays football...
  • The Berry Center has...
  • 8,328 Seat Arena
  • 11,000 Seat Outdoor Stadium
  • 456 Seat Theater
  • 16,100 sq.ft. Conference Center

Serious state pride...
I see these bumper stickers and shirts all the time. I personally don't want to secede, but people really think that Texas would be just fine on their own. I guess this brings me to my favorite thing about Texans, an overwhelming sense of self reliance. A "Get'er done!" attitude. We saw this especially after the hurricane. People were out as soon as the wind died down to 50 mph and started checking on each other, clearing drains, cleaning debris, using chainsaws to get rid of fallen trees, BBQ'ing meat to share with their neighbors before it had a chance to spoil. It was really an amazing sight.

Of course the most unique thing about Texas is...
We LOVE Texas! Chad and I are constantly turning to each other and saying "Let's stay here forever!"

4 comments:

Jen said...

No...it should be, "Y'all, lets stay here forever." Love this post...you are CLEVER :)

Amanda said...

I thought about doing a 1-year post for Arizona, but it won't be as good. As far as I can tell though, Arizona is a sort of watered-down version of Texas, for example:

We also have Blue Bell ice cream (and I agree, it's really good), Texas Roadhouse, and a lot of people have those metal stars on their house. Not everybody, but a lot of people. I've seen people performing all sorts of "illegal" driving maneuvers like: driving ATVs on the road with no helmet, riding piled in the back of pick-ups (which people tell me is illegal), people riding on the back of a pick-up piled high with cut tree branches, making a u-turn over a raised cement median. We have no Arizona songs (that I know of), there are no odd vending machines, and no one I've seen wears the Arizona flag on their clothing (maybe it's because it's so ugly). We do have some crazy weather, though.

Anyway, congratulations on one year!

Vilate said...

I was sold with the Christian vending machines.

Vince said...

Not everybody, but a lot of people. I've seen people performing all sorts of "illegal" driving maneuvers like: driving ATVs on the road with no helmet, riding piled in the back of pick-ups people riding on the back of a pick-up piled high with cut tree branches, making a u-turn over a raised cement median.

--
Vince
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems