Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Barely Legal 4th of July



Our Independence Day celebration began on Friday night at the ward BBQ. It was going well until I heard a familiar little voice singing "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Go's which then morphed into "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran. There was Archer sining into the live mic, eyes closed and one hand hanging onto a corner of our country's flag, using it like a dance partner. Sweet.

video

Here is what barely legal fireworks look like. I know those of you in California born after 1990 have never experienced this. We bought the smallest package of fireworks available, and some of them came with their own cannons! The largest package was $1000 and when one of them was purchased, a bell would ring. It rang several times in the 10 minutes it took Chad to get our fireworks. Seriously!!! $1,000!!! It made me a little bit sick. Anyway, Rocky and Ana were kind enough volunteer their house as ground zero in spite of there being a serious drought here in Houston. My favorite part of the video is when Chad says "This is for America!" I was joking with the "hair" comment, but a piece of firework really did fall on me.

Here is a picture of Della pondering why her Daddy is giggling like a 14 year old (listen for it in the beginning of the video)...

Archer was so consumed with selecting which fireworks to light off, he wouldn't look at the camera. "Hey Dad, should we do 'Irish Delight' next or some 'flowers'?"

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Oh. That. Firework. Box. You are way more fun than I am.

Beth said...

Wow! Those were some serious fireworks!...I agree with you $1000?!! (I guess the recession hasn't hit Texas)

I wished you had some video of Archer singing