Friday, November 21, 2008

This Might Be Our Longest Post Ever...

I have been so busy the past few weeks and Archer has given up his nap (WHY!?!?) so I haven't had a lot of time to post new pictures. Better late than never right? I don't know why the font size is so messed up, just pretend like everything is the same size.

Boom-Boom Papa & Nana's Visit


My grandparents came out from Southern California for a visit and we loved having them here. Archer had so much fun playing with "Boom-Boom Nana and Papa" you would have thought he had died and gone to heaven. I think they played "store" for at least 2 hours everyday. Not surprisingly candy and cash were both acceptable forms of payment. I think Archer is the only 4 year-old around here who knows the meaning of "barter" and "jipped." They were such sports to sleep in the bottom portion of Archer's bunk bed (don't worry, it is queen sized). It was so great to show some of our family around our new house, city, and state.

We went to visit the NASA Johnson Space Center and it was a really fascinating place. At first we thought it was just a museum but then we realized there was a tram tour. My favorite part was the announcement that the tour would last for one and a half hours. That's a long time on a tram!

This is the outside of Mission Control. That's right, we saw the actual room where those famous phrases of "Houston, we have a problem," and "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," were heard. Although shuttles aren't launched here, it is still used as NASA's mission control.


There is a huge building where life-size replicas of the shuttle, space station, and other "space stuff" (highly technical term) are used to train astronauts. It was pretty fascinating to see just how big these things are. This is a picture of Archer saying "I am not sure if this is fun or boring."

This is how we all felt at the end of the day...

Della took advantage of every opportunity to be loved while her great-grandparents were here. She resumed her favorite seat at church, on her Papa's lap...
It was so wonderful having them come to visit, which made it that much harder to say good-bye. We really miss our family.


Halloween...

Archer had his heart set on being a vampire, so I tried to sew his cape. Let me start off by saying that I am not an experienced sewer. I thought I would go to the fabric store, explain to a knowledgeable sales associate my lack of sewing skills and then kindly ask her to help me pick a pattern that wouldn't be too difficult. So that's exactly what I did. Either the woman was lying or I really am that inept at following directions. Either way process took many (many) hours and twice the amount of fabric. It seriously looked so bad with the seams all caught up in bunched fabric, a very uneven hem, and a safety-pin and tape holding it together. I am glad that I can laugh about it...someday.

Initially he wanted the lining to be a fabric that had neon green mermaid/dragon scales on it. Then he decided that a spider-web lining would be (only slightly) scarier...

Della had a hard time deciding what she wanted to be. The major contenders were
Mrs. Potato Head lips (or Lisa Rinna)...

Or the tried and true glasses/mustache disguise...

She actually wore them all the time and didn't want to take them off...

Here is our spooky skeleton. Are you scared yet?
Archer carved his own pumpkin with one of those dull safety pumpkin knives. He started out well and he was able to carve a simple face. A few hours after he finished he was walking past his creation, picked up the knife, and began stabbing it as fast and as hard as he could. That ended his carving experience. Let's not hope that this is a foreshadowing of thing to come.

What Archer Has Been Up To...

He started school (you can't hear or see me but I am jumping up and down shouting "Hallelujah!").

First day of school. Archer is demonstrating his "smile" and modeling his "back-hack" and Della is demonstrating her extreme dislike of having her picture taken...

Archer drinking from his scary spider cup. It was worth the 99 cents we paid for it...

Reading to little sis...

"Mom, will you put some more 'pudge' on my ice cream?"

Would you trust this guy with your money? Yeah, me neither...

"Mom, I made an Indian dress like the one those guys wear in 'Pocahontas.'"

Playing doctor "for serious" with Dad. It looks painful.


Della's Turn...

I finally learned how to do pig tails!
Exhibit A...
Exhibit B...(So what if they are from the same day! Don't judge me!)

All she wants to do is be with her brother...

Even when he's upstairs...


Eating cupcakes (and cinnamon twists from Taco Bell)...
And the wrappers (she likes to recycle)...

Making a "pouty-face" when I block her view of the TV when trying to take a picture...
And playing with towels...
We are in Speech, Occupational, and Physical therapy 4 to 5 days a week now and it is grueling. Some of the things we are working on are pulling to a stand, eating table foods, self-feeding, pointing, eye contact, making choices (this toy or that toy), making the "b" sound on purpose (like when playing with bubbles or a baby doll), and responding to her name. It is a lot and this is usually how she ends up after a session...
She naps from 1 to 5 PM and then goes to bed at 7:30 PM and I have to wake her up at 9 AM. I usually find her like this in the morning...

She has very low muscle tone but her body is almost the size of a two year-old. So she gets worn out very easily. Her ankles bow inward when she stands up and the physical therapist suggested we try high-tops to give her some support...
It doesn't look like the shoes will be enough and we may have to get orthotics, that is code for expensive (Santa, are you listening? Della has been a very good girl!). Progress seems painstakingly slow on good days and frustrating on bad days, but every once in awhile she does something that let us know that she is "getting it." Only 2 more months until we are able to go to the developmental clinic at Texas Children's Hospital. I am so excited, January 7th can't come fast enough!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love you guys! Miss you so much! We were at Disneyland watching the parade and each and everytime I think of you.

Beth said...

I Love the long blog and all the pictures!

Archer is such a ham for the camera. I love the Indian dress pose and his big smile with his back-hack!

Della is looking like a little girl and not a baby anymore...sooooo cute! I like the pigtails!

Your new home looks great!

The Hamiltons said...

Hey I don't know if you remember me from Carbon Canyon ward talking to you one day when you were visiting...anyways I love you blogg. And I had to comment because I always laugh at how funny Archer is...and in regards to orthotics my son has the same issue with his ankles bowing in and our podiatrist suggests high top hiking boots...they are hideous and ugly but they do an amazing job with support. Just wanted to drop by and say hi finally!

Allison said...

Is Archer wearing silky pink pajamas? Just checking. Della is so cute. Love the pigtails. We miss you guys and it's good to see some of what you're up to.