Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bookshelf of Pain (Chad's title)

This is Caitlin writing, I was too lazy sign out of Chad's account. Our Fullerton house had lots of bookshelf space. So when we moved here to Houston, picking up some bookshelves was pretty high on the list. What one might not realize is, without some where to put your stuff, you can't very well unpack it. So we have boxes and boxes (and more boxes) of books hanging out in different corners of our house. We purchased some shelves from Ikea within a week of moving here but we found ourselves trying to "make it work". In the end, we weren't overly happy with them. So after reading an article on bookshelves in Popular Science, Chad decided to try his hand at some carpentry. He was going to start downstairs but I thought it would be better to work out the bugs upstairs in the loft first.















So this is what we (Chad) started with. Two walls, one with a window and the other with a closet. He started with some demo work and tore out the closet and cleaned up the drywall. Then he put in some can lights to illuminate the shelves. This was a big deal because it was his first attempt at electrical work. Things went without a hitch and the lights are beautiful. I knew he could do it! We then went and bought paint and came home with the wrong color (anyone want 2 gallons of Baehr paint in "loveable"?). That was soon taken care of and then Chad started on the shelves.

I was in California last week visiting my family and I will post more about that later. So Chad did most of this work while I was away with the kids. Yesterday I turned on my phone after landing here in Houston and I had a text message that read "Had to go to the emergency room. Busted my head open. Need stitches. Sorry, I meant to have everything cleaned up and nice but didn't work out that way." Then I got this picture:

So Chad has 9 or 10 stitches in hie eyebrow and plenty more underneath. He was using his drill trying to do something difficult while he was in a hurry. In fact he thought to himself "I really shouldn't be doing this. This is really stupid." Long story short he was putting all his strength into the drill and something gave and the battery pack jerked back and hit him in the face splitting the skin right open. Ouch. Good thing our health insurance started last Monday! In spite of it all, look what he made!

This is the wall with the closet...

And he even brought out the windowsill to make a cozy window seat...

I will take a picture of Chad's stitches later, just take my word that it is gnarly-looking. I have ordered him to take a break for a week although I am anxious to put our stuff away. So you will all have to wait to see the finished product. I know you are anxiously checking our blog to see how things turn out. For now, Chad will be busy healing.

7 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I guess if something's going to go terribly wrong, I'd rather have it be an aggressive battery pack than something with the electrical work. :/

Amanda said...

As you were telling the story, I thought it was going to be a problem with the business end of the drill and I was a little bit stressed out. Tyler gets popular science... maybe I should hide it from him before he gets any ideas as I'm not sure he's as handy as Chad.

Bluebell said...

Wow, those are beautiful! Great work, Chad! Just think, he'll have a nice manly 'battle scar' to show for all his hard work. We miss you guys.

Amy said...

OUCH! I scrolled down and it shocked me! I guess when it's your own kids your mom instincts take over and it doesn't even bother you. But when it's someone else- wow!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Ooo. . . was the article on the web? I have so got a project for Plantboy. (Sans stiches, of course.) Your shelves are making me salivate.

kenny said...

Chad is my hero I think. Especially after enduring all the trauma. I do remember when we were friends...and it makes me sad to know you aren't a few blocks away. I guess I'll have to settle with being your blog-fan for now...

BTW, those shelves...amazing. That wall color, too.

-Jill

Allison said...

The head wound makes the story a million times better. I am impressed with the can lights and the shelves. Good job.