Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Onions, Beans, and an Accidental Leek

We finally picked our onions and apparently we were a little late. If the onions grow a flower then you have waited too long to pick it. Oops. My gardening habits consist of planting, weeding occasionally (maybe twice a month), making my husband set the timer on the sprinklers, and hoping that things grow. That's about it. I should have done a little more research.

One of the onions growing in the row looked a little different than the others, that's because it was a leek (a cousin of the onion). It just so happens that I have a super simple and fast recipe I really like that includes leeks with pan seared chicken. Here is the link, and instead of cooking wine I use a an equal amount of chicken broth.

We also planted some bush beans (green beans that grow on a bush) and they have been pretty good. However I have had 2 plants break off at the stem. I went to pick a bean and the entire plant came with it leaving the roots in the ground. Weird. Once again, maybe I should do a little more research, but that would go against my strict policy of simple/lazy gardening.

I originally planted this garden in hopes that it would help Archer be more inclined to try new foods (it hasn't helped at all). He will occasionally eat a strawberry if he feels like it, but the only thing he really eats consistently are the tiny leaves off the thyme plant. ?????

The kids were "helping" me outside and Della was really scooting around (which is good) and trying to eat mulch (which is bad). Here are some pics of her that I took...

4 comments:

Amy said...

she is just so cute! Oh I could just smoosh her with love!

Amanda said...

I like the Onion Monster.

Beth said...

I just found your blog! I love it! Great pictures of your kids and your garden. Your strict policy of simple/lazy gardening works great because you have an amazing garden!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Love the Della pics. Archer is free to nibble my thyme plant any thyme--er, time. I have way too much of it.

I will definitely have to try the Leeky Chicken recipe.