Monday, May 12, 2008

It's that time of year again...

Start off by buying "jam berries." They are the most ripe and are on the verge of going bad, so the stand usually sells them at a discount. I bought a flat for $10 instead of the usual $30.

The ones I bought were huge...

Jam berries have to be processed the day you bring them home...
Throw them in the food processor, measure out 5 cups (for one batch) and freeze it until you are ready to make the jam...

5 cups of strawberry puree, 1 bag of pectin, and 7 cups of sugar. Who wouldn't love something that has more sugar in it than any other ingredient?
The finished product. We figure the cost to be a little less than a dollar a pint. Not bad. We also give it out as Christmas gifts. Nothing like tasting a little summer in the dead of winter...

*I am not posting this to show off my "Molly skills." This is something that my family does and I wanted to document it. Making jam is sooooo much easier than people think and it is so yummy.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Nice work! I asked my mother-in-law to show me how to make jam as it's something she does every year. When we showed up for the appointed visit, she had already cleaned and pureed all the strawberries and hat them measured into ziplock baggies. Sweet.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Um . . . my hubby makes fabulous freezer jam. Tell you what. I'll bring a loaf of homemade bread over in exchange?

Anne & Aaron said...

two questions: Can I have some jam? Give me some jam.

The Bruer Clan said...

K, so you are AMAZING at making this JAM!! I WANT SOME!! ;) I am SO DONE with pregnancy..I am just HUGE and getting even bigger...ha!! Miss you woman...we should hang...if you need anything let me know!! LOVES!!

Beth said...

We live our jam! Thanks for sharing a jar with us!