Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Updates and stuff...

Here is what has been going on at the Calder house. We have had 3 open houses and a lot of people have come through. We went through 100 fliers in less than 2 weeks, so there is some interest and we have a few good leads. We don't expect our house to sell right away and we are in this for the long haul. I guess our mindset is "expect the worst and hope for the best."

Onto Archer...

His current favorite scripture story is "Samson." Here he is at FHE dressed up as the protagonist and sporting Nana's wig to help him get into character. Apparently this is also his fighting pose.

Sunday night he came into the family room and announced that he was in full space uniform complete with "space curtain" (I think he was referring to the cape, "space back-hack", and"space pants-hat" (self-explanatory). He was also packing heat in the form of his Nerf gun just in case some martians showed up.

I woke him up from his nap.


Della Belle's turn...
Here she is modeling her new trick. Getting up on all fours completely on her own!!! She will only do it in order to see the TV (much to my and the physical therapist's dismay). No crawling yet, but I have a feeling it mobility isn't that far off.

Our meeting with the neurologist went well. I really liked Dr. Le and I would recommend him to anyone looking for a pediatric neurologist in the SoCal area. She did well on half of the exam and not so well on the other half. For instance she was able to track objects without a problem and she knew how to interact with a toy. Then Dr. Le clapped his hands loudly 4 or 5 times with a few seconds in between each clap. Della startled every time whereas a "normal" baby would startle once or twice before accommodating to the noise. Anyway, we have the EEG next Wednesday and unfortunately she will have to be sedated. We are anxious to get some results on that.

Della has added a few more tricks to her repertoire and one of them is clapping her hands. This is a big one because she is actively trying to engage in play by accomplishing a relatively complex series of mental and physical tasks. She also sat up for about 2 minutes completely on her own (then she fell face first onto a Lego). FINALLY! After 8 months of physical therapy!! Her PT has speculated that her resistance to sitting up stems from her ongoing problem with reflux. About 30 seconds into sitting she spits up. This could be anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours after she eats. We finally started her on Zantac in hopes that it would alleviate her symptoms. I have been really reluctant to do this because I am not really comfortable with putting my child on any kind of medication regularly. I must admit, I have not seen much of a difference. Which brings me to her next appointment, a meeting with a Pediatric Gastroeterologist. She will help us to determine why Della still doesn't eat solids, what is causing her reflux, and she will go over her Upper GI with us. That is on March 19th.

So still a lot going on with poor Della Belle. I have to say, she is the sweetest baby I have ever heard of. In spite of all her suffering in her short 14 months of life, she is so happy. People fight over holding her wherever we go and that is just fine with her. She loves to love!

These last few pictures I took today after finally reading the manual to our camera.












And this is just funny...

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love everything about this post. At first I thought Archer's "back-hack" was a name for his gun... Don't worry about Della's sedation, she won't be all the way asleep. It's just like taking a short-acting benedryl that goes away as soon as they turn it off.
Lillian also loved the pictures of Della. She was looking over my shoulder and happily shouting "Baby! Baby!"

Jill said...

Yeah for sitting up and yeah for clapping! (And Kenny can't decide if he likes Archer as Samson or as the space-man better. I can't blame him - They're both pretty amazing.)

Ana said...

I am so happy to see Della on all fours...that is such a big improvment. Don't worry about everything else and just focus on the progress she is making. Archer is SO FUNNY and I can't believe he is wearing pants on his head.

We need to have dinner soon!!! I miss you guys (even though Rock and Chad see eachother all the time)

Heather Miller said...

Grandmas wig!!! Oh I remember the wig like it was yeaterday. Oh ps I have a blog now....heathermillerslife.blogspot.com

Lame I know....but its now my journal

Bluebell said...

Oh my gosh, your pictures of Archer had me full belly-laughing over here. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. I'm happy to hear about Della's progress, she seems so sweet. I still can't believe we haven't even met her yet. You are a trooper with all the things you are going through with her. We love you guys.