Monday, August 13, 2007

That Was Intense

Archer had his adenoids and tonsils out last Friday and it has been an intense few days. As he was being wheeled off into surgery I could hear him down the hall saying "I love this race car bed! It is really cool!" I thought to myself "You have no idea what is about to happen and you are going to be so upset with me when this is over." I was right. We went back into recovery and I could hear Archer way before I could see him. He was hysterically crying while being held by an nurse who was trying to get him to drink some water. He was having none of that. I got him to settle down about 45 minutes after we got to recovery and from there we waited 2 hours to be released. Once home, Archer cried/slept most of the day. We were told that he would have a fever the first 24 hours but by Sunday we were getting worried. He wouldn't eat or drink and spent most of his time laying on the couch covered in sweat. Even getting him to take his pain medication was a huge ordeal that left us all exhausted. Finally we called the Dr. and during our conversation I discovered a slight miscommunication that had occurred at Archer's pre-op visit. He was supposed to be getting antibiotics for 3 weeks after the surgery and somehow I had not gotten the prescription (my personal opinion is that I never received it, but that is another story). The Dr. also told us that he Archer was to be drinking a minimum of 50 cc's of milk every hour. He wasn't consuming half that amount. The Dr. had given us a syringe and he told us that if Archer refused to eat or drink then we were to hold his arms back at a 45 degree angle and force the syringe into his mouth. Right. After threatening this torture to Archer he has struggled to drink more and I think we are on target to the 50 cc/hour. Today has been slightly better and hopefully he will continue to heal. We made a short video to thank everyone who has called, sent cards, and given him gifts. Archer has really appreciated it and we have too. A big thanks to Chad for handling Saturday all by his lonesome. I had traffic school for 8 hours and he did a great job of taking care of the kids. Warning to all who drive in Fullerton: The red light cameras on Chapman and Harbor work extremely well. When making a right on a red, be sure to stop a full 3 seconds or the else you will receive a picture of yourself driving through the intersection accompanied by a $403 ticket in the mail. To make matters worse, the picture is extremely not flattering. You have been warned.





If you can't understand what Archer is saying, it is because he is swollen and has a hard time talking.

Archer and his "balloon belt" that he refuses to untie from around his waist.



50 cc's of chocolate milk.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Geez Caitlin, you guys sure have had a lot thrown at you lately. You're handling it all so well. I admire your strength and endurance. When I played the video, Jake watched intently, and then said, "dah!" So, I hope with those words of encouragement, you guys will be able to get through another day :)

I like how they're measuring milk in CCs.

Ana said...

You win the "Parent of the Year" award for making Archer think it was a race car bed and he was taking smoking gas. That is amazing!!! Rocky was telling me what Chad told him and I didn't believe it until I saw the video. Whatever makes them cooperate...right? Can't wait to see you guys on the 25th...hope everything is settled down by then.

Amy said...

You are amazing. One day at a time. He Is going to have so much fun at Jacks party, it will all be a distant memory.

Kimberly Bluestocking: said...

Love the balloon belt - he looks like an inflated peacock. :)

I'm glad he's doing better.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I left you a reply on Kimberly Bluestockings blog. You are one tough mommy. I hope we never need tonsils out.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I haven't read your blog since maybe February, and let me say that you're amazing! I can’t believe all you’ve been dealing with! You may well be the super parent of the year. On a slightly unrelated note, you know how dreams contain elements of things you did or saw (or - in my case last night – read)? Well, you can tell Archer that after I read this entry, I dreamt that I had to have emergency surgery to have my tonsils and my appendix removed. It was a nightmare. Kudos to you and Chad for doing it in real life! Call us!
--Jill Brady

AmyN said...

I have a sorta stupid question... Did u fight the ticket? I ask because I just got one and didnt see any signs...