Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Della Updates

I think that from now on I will post updates here so that I will stop filling everyone's e-mail in-boxes. Today has definitely been better than yesterday, maybe because I got 12 hours of sleep! Since a virus can't be treated they are treating her symptoms to save her energy to fight the virus while it runs it's course. She is still on the ventilator as well as sedatives to keep her calm and out of pain. The Dr. treating her today told me that she is severely anemic and that she needs a blood transfusion as soon as possible. Unfortunately the screening process is so rigorous that it would take 5 days to prepare blood donated from her family (i.e. Chad or myself). So she is receiving someone's blood as we speak and although I am nervous about the transfusion, I am grateful that someone was willing to donate. Hopefully this will bolster her immune system helping her to fight off the RSV even faster. On a lighter note...her Pediatric ICU nurse went to my High School and she has been so accommodating. She even let me change her diaper which is a big deal to me considering that I can't hold her or touch her without wearing gloves, a mask, and a gown. So although things are still serious, it looks like Della will pull out of this OK with no longterm repercussions. I will try to keep this updated as much as I can, but I can't guarantee anything since I spend every available moment at the hospital. Thanks again for the outpouring of well wishes we have received. It has been such a comfort.

No comments: