Friday, September 01, 2006

Peanut Reaction


My car has been in the shop this week and today we got to pick it up. The shop is less than a block away and so Archer and I walked. I ALWAYS bring his medication and EpiPen with me, but I didn't want to carry the big bag with me because I knew I would be dragging Archer the whole way to the shop. So we get to the shop and I start to pay for the car. Like any kid, Archer goes straight for the candy machine which holds peanut M&M's and Reeses Pieces. Of course I shoo him away since they both contain peanuts but as I look at him he is chewing something. I lift the flap on the dispenser of the Reeses Pieces and there is one sitting right inside. Almost immediately he starts vomiting, gagging and coughing. I throw the lady my credit card and tell her to hurry and charge it because my kid is having and allergic reaction to the candy. I sign the paper as Archer throws up on the floor and I grab the keys, throw him in the car, and drive home. By the time we got home he was red and swollen and covered in hives. I shove a syringe of Bendadryl down his throat and he vomits it up, so I half the dosage and give it to him again. Poor Archer was crying and just wanted me to hold him. By this time Chad got home and gave him a blessing and everything is alright. We didn't have to give him the EpiPen and we didn't have to take him to the hospital. In a strange way, I am glad that he had the reaction so that we could measure the severity of it. Hopefully his allergy isn't as severe as we once thought. Archer is very tired from the medication, so I am going to put him in bed and maybe take a nap myself! Bottom line: DON'T GIVE MY KID PEANUTS. EVER!

4 comments:

Anne "the Hook" Calder said...

caitlin i just want to let you know that in your world peanuts equal cyanide... and that stuff just ain't ballin.

Sanchez Family said...

Oh man!!! My heart sank! Good of you to keep your head straight.

The Duke said...

Oh gosh! That was a very scary post. I was just imagining the scenario before my eyes. Very glad that everything is OK.

Amanda said...

I started reading, and then skipped to the end to make sure everything turned out OK, then I read the middle. I'm sure glad evertying is better now, and glad you didn't have to use the EpiPen. We had to practice with those in nursing school. They look painful.